Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Mast Bits & other repairs

Here we will post images of some of the other work we've been doing on the mast.

Click any image to enlarge

wingssail images-fredrick roswold
Sheaves are removed

One has broken bearings

The sheave with the broken bearings was on the main halyard. This explains why the halyard was hard to move. The new bearings cost a fortune, and they are a discontinued item at Harken, so we ordered some spares.

Rigging screws, waiting to be cleaned and polished

Labels: , ,

Painting the Mast

Click any image to enlarge

wingssail images-fredrick roswold
Cold day for sanding

Getting Started

Judy Sanding


Primer goes on


Wet Sanding

Spraying the top coat

Finished Painting


Orange Peel Finish

Good Spot, not perfect

Uneven application

Now we have to do more sanding to fix the finish. We had to do this back in 1993 too. I think we remember how.

Finished & re-assembled

Now we've refinished the mast, boom, & spin pole and we've re-assembled it all. At this point the rig is ready to go back into the boat only the boat is not ready for the rig.

We have to finish the work on the keel bolt backing plates (which live under the mast step) before we can put the mast back in. This may as much as one more weeks work.

Labels: , ,

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Haere Maru & Crew at St Brandon's (Cargados Carajos Shoals)

Sunday, June 05, 2011

Wings with Mast Out

On Saturday we hired a crane and pulled out the Mast. It was a bit nerve wracking simply because we've never done it ourselves before but, with the help of friends George and Ellen from Wind Dancer, we had no problems.

Sorry though, we got no photos of the operation, we were too busy.

Click any image to enlarge

wingssail images-fredrick roswold
Back in the dock, Something is missing

Lets Clean up This Deck

Mast is out

wingssail images-judy jensen
Working Under the Coconut Palms

Labels: , , ,

NEXT Page (More) , or... GO BACK to Previous Page